Thursday, October 21, 2010

Drunk Driving

A friend's friend was killed this week by a drunk driver.  I don't know the details of the situation, but I do know that Texas ranks 45th among the states according to MADD, and that is deeply problematic.  Operating a motor vehicle while drunk is, by any estimation I can come up with, a reckless act that endangers others, yet first offenses generally don't involve jail time.  If it were up to me, getting caught driving drunk, even once, would involve losing your car, and your license, at the very least—I and people I care about drive these roads too, and I don't want the 5000 pound suburban next to me controlled by someone who has chosen to limit their faculties.

-----Addendum-----
Reading this again, I can see how one might get the impression that I take drunk driving to be a moral issue; that since I'm implying that since driving drunk risks other people's lives, I think that it's morally and ethically wrong to drive drunk, perhaps even worse than most other moral transgressions. I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment